The Eric IDE is a free and open source cross platform-editor and IDE (integrated development environment) for the Python programming language. It is written using PyQt and QScintilla. It uses the GPL Version 3 License and besides English, it is translated into German, Russian, Spanish and more. Its initial release was in 2002.
What is Eric?
Eric is a full featured Python editor and IDE, written in Python. It is based on the cross platform Qt UI toolkit, integrating the highly flexible Scintilla editor control. It is designed to be usable as everdays’ quick and dirty editor as well as being usable as a professional project management tool integrating many advanced features Python offers the professional coder. eric includes a plug-in system, which allows easy extension of the IDE functionality with plug-ins downloadable from the net.
- Unlimited number of editors
- Configurable window layout, syntax hilighting
- Sourcecode autocompletion, calltips, folding
- Brace matching
- Error highlighting
- Advanced search functionality including project wide search and replace
- Integrated class browser
- Integrated version control interface for Mercurial, Subversion and Git repositories (as core plug-ins)
Source: Eric Python Ide’s home page
Next Open Source Tuesday will feature the Tor Browser project.