Etcher is a free and open source OS (operating system) image flasher for Linux, MacOS, and Windows. If you want to try out or install an operating system, you use this software to burn an ISO on a USB or SDCard. The company developing Etcher is balena. They use the Apache License 2.0.
Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives, safely and easily.
Etcher is a powerful OS image flasher built with web technologies to ensure flashing an SDCard or USB drive is a pleasant and safe experience. It protects you from accidentally writing to your hard-drives, ensures every byte of data was written correctly and much more. It can also flash directly Raspberry Pi devices that support the usbboot protocol.
- Cross Platform – Works for everyone, no more complicated install instructions.
- Validated Flashing – No more writing images on corrupted cards and wondering why your device isn’t booting.
- Beautiful Interface – Who said flashing SD cards has to be an eyesore.
- Hard Drive Friendly – Makes drive selection obvious to avoid wiping your entire hard-drive
- Open Source – Made with JS, HTML, node.js and Electron. Dive in and contribute!
Next Open Source Tuesday will feature the GnuCash project.